Monday, December 5, 2022

Untitled

John My Beloved

Are we to speak, first day of the weekStumbling words at the barBeauty blue eyes, my order of friesLong Island kindness and wineBeloved of John, I get it all wrongI read you for some kind of poemCovered in lines, the fossils I findHave they no life of their own?
So can we pretend sweetlyBefore the mystery ends?I am a man with a heart that offendsWith its lonely and greedy demandsThere's only a shadow of me in a matter of speaking I'm dead
Such a waste, your beautiful faceStumbling carpet ariseGo follow your gem, your white feathered friendIcarus, point to the sunIf history speaks of two baby teethI'm painting the hills blue and redThey said beware, Lord hear my prayerI've wasted my throes on your head
So can we be friends, sweetlyBefore the mystery ends?I love you more than the world can containIn its lonely and ramshackle headThere's only a shadow of me in a matter of speaking I'm dead
I'm holding my breathMy tongue on your chestWhat can be said of my heart?If history speaks, the kiss on my cheekWhere there remains but a markBeloved my John, so I'll carry onCounting my cards down to oneAnd when I am dead, come visit my bedMy fossil is bright in the sun
So can we contend, peacefullyBefore my history ends?Jesus I need you, be near me, come shield meFrom fossils that fall on my headThere's only a shadow of me in a matter of speaking I'm dead
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Sufjan Stevens
John My Beloved lyrics © BMG Rights Management



No comments:

Post a Comment