Friday, January 11, 2019

Work Field Trip

It's funny how no matter the age,
Whether a kid in school or an adult in the workplace,
We all get funny when we are off our schedules.

Today my department took a field trip
To the animal shelter we chose as our charity this past holiday season.
This included the money we raised and supplies we bought.

We got to leave work early, throwing off our schedules,
And go to the animal shelter to drop off the stuff
And take a tour (which lasted less than we anticipated).

We took several photos - some which will be dispersed among the company,
And since I did not have any company clothing items that fit me
One of my coworkers generously lent me her jacket.

Once the tour ended and there was nothing else to do,
And since there was an hour left of the work day,
We all went to a wonderful happy hour (except one).

I learned that four out of six of us were shy growing up,
The same four that have some kind of OCD or anxiety disorder,
And it was overall a great bonding experience.

When I mentioned we need to do happy hour as a group again,
And I can organize it since the one who used to left,
My boss mentioned me putting to use my leadership skills.

I learned things about other coworkers, both good and bad,
About how three are praying for our department,
Though the way they handled it may not have been the best.

I learned that my boss is not anti-church, though her brother is,
And I need to go out and learn more about my one co-worker,
Who I struggle to like but who has hurts all her own.

All in all it was a good night, though I had planned to not drink
Until the work holiday party tomorrow (if I make it despite the weather),
And given my boss has mentioned it before, I need to start showing my leadership skills.


No comments:

Post a Comment