Thursday, May 2, 2019

She Gave Me Her Wedding Dress

It is my grandmother's 93rd birthday today -
She's the only living grandparent I've had since I was 18.
I went in and talked with her tonight,
And she reminded me that she's given me her wedding dress.

She's given other things to other grand kids -
There are six of us in total, five girls and one boy.
She gave one her car when she moved in with my parents,
And at another time a very treasured cedar wood chest.

I have known since I was a kid that I will get her wedding dress,
A thin ivory gown, that I suspect she has treasured the most.
Because for some reason I have always been her favorite grand kid,
And when I was 14 my sister and I tried it on (it fit her better even then).

I appreciate her words of wisdom and joyful spirit,
That does not encompass many who are her age.
She knows she still has a reason for living,
And God has her in His hand.

I know she will not live forever though,
Even though I mean it when I say she is not allowed to die.
And though the wedding dress means nothing to me,
I know I will treasure the matter some day.


No comments:

Post a Comment