Monday, March 4, 2019

The First Time

The first time my mother actually admitted
That she and I are very different people,
Was last night, and for once while talking with her,
I was struck with such great relief,
And a feeling of being understood.

I've told her that so much in my life,
But she always denied certain differences,
Thinking we are more the same than we are,
And finally she gets it,
Or at least a part of it that matters.

I've known for so long,
And while this doesn't mean
She doesn't still want me to be someone I'm not
Whether consciously or subconsciously,
It is a great start and gives me hope.

She never likes to be wrong - none of us do,
But finally she recognizes some of our innate differences.
And hopefully there will be more understanding to come,
More understanding of our differences from the both of us,
And how to love each other for who we both are.



No comments:

Post a Comment