Sunday, March 9, 2014

Kid Tech

I saw this article that states that children under 12 should be banned from handheld devices, and though I do not have any kids of my own, I do nanny for three kids under 12.

The 10 reasons why are vague and do not apply to the crew I watch.
I do like to limit the almost 2-year-old's TV time, though,
As I don't like how he sits zombie-like with a blank stare at the screen.
He does only watch Charlie brown, though, and did not show much interest in the two movies his sisters and I tried to introduce him to (Cars and Curious George).

He does play on the ipad. He doesn't have the fine motor skills to really play the racing car game, and at first he could not drag the puzzle pieces to their places. Now, at 23 months, he can drag the puzzles most of the time and press the gas position (for the racing game) about 50% of the time. (He doesn't really seem to get that you need to all the time.) He likes watching the car crash into trees or running out of gas, which happens when he doesn't press it like he's supposed to.

His sisters now, ages 9 and 10, each have their own iphone and access to the ipad. The 10-year-old got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, but their internet access is limited (and I don't think it works at all on their phones. They can text their parents, but it's only apple to apple, so my phone and theirs doesn't work).
The girls are allowed to watch TV and play the wii but I have hardly seen them do this, especially since September when they went back to school, and in the summer they had to read for every minute they played or watched.

Both girls like to read, are excelling in school, and are very socially attune (they even have Instagram accounts).
The baby did not use the ipad or watch TV until December, at 20 months. His parents introduced them both to him - I wouldn't touch it without their permission. Plus, we went outside a LOT in the summer. We have recently whenever the weather permits. We LOVE going outside.

I know the saying "The Dumbing Down of America" applies, and it's related to technology. I know that in this current generation of kids they have yet to find one as smart as some in the previous generation.
But with these kids I watch, I do not see technology as a great problem. They do not have TVs in their bedrooms. They are limited in time and are both active in sports - soccer, art, and ballet respectively. Maybe that makes a difference, and I know plenty of kids who don't have access to the goods they do, but I really think the article is an extreme case, not the norm. At least, it isn't the norm here, in my city, with the many kids I watch (In addition to a nanny I also aid in a classroom and babysit).

Time will tell how big a problem technology grows.



No comments:

Post a Comment