Sunday, August 25, 2013

Disconnected

For many years I used to wish my sister and I were close.
After all, many sisters are, aren't they?
But for us, it never seemed to happen.
With the exception of one year where she'd play with me -
Yes, one out of my standard eighteen at home -
It was my brother and me, my brother and her,
Or the three of us in some vague way.
I played a lot by myself too.

Then, in college, I started documenting my efforts
Through a sister journal -  not online.
Through that, I have come to realize that we will never be close.
We just have such different personalities, that
We will never understand each other.
We will never "get" each other,
Never connect in a meaningful way.

The only connection is my brother, and
The technicalities of our blood.
But she is soon off to her senior year of college,
And then plans to marry her sweetheart next summer.

So, if I don't mention her a lot,
Or just in terms of her boyfriend visiting,
That is why.


No comments:

Post a Comment