Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A Week Ago Today

A week ago today I woke up to a message
That someone I had known had passed away.
It was Tuesday, but he had really passed on Saturday,
And my 'dinner with a friend' acquaintance friend was the one who told me.

I only met him three times in my life,
So this should not impact me like it has.
But he always texted me on my birthday,
And he died on my grandmother's birthday.

I'm learning way more about him,
And the tragedy is that I did not know him better before.
We would talk about getting together,
But I was not really friends anymore with the ones he met me with.

I'm sure he texted others every year on their birthday too -
But here's the thing, it doesn't matter.
No one can take away the special feeling he laid upon each of us.
And there are stories upon stories of him doing these kind acts.

He leaves behind a teenage daughter, who I met the second time I saw him.
He was a caring and involved father, evidenced in their interactions.
And I found out last week that he had a steady girlfriend,
Which I should have known.

I should have known a lot of things.
I wish I knew how he died.
He was young and healthy,
But they said he died from a medical condition.

Take care, my friend, who I should have known better.
I remember the impact last year had,
When I got the text and realized you had not missed a single one,
Since the night we met at your Halloween party in 2014.

I don't know what he believed -
I know he claimed Christian on social media -
And he better be in heaven,
And I better see him again.


No comments:

Post a Comment