Tuesday, February 8, 2022

People Like That

After The One Who Should Know Me Better started dating,
That first summer when her then boyfriend and I played volleyball,
At the end, at the bar, I broke down.
She told me, "You internalize things more than I do."

It was a unique night, and I had not planned to break down.
Our (then) friend, My Least Loyal Friend, came to watch,
As The One Who Should Know Me Better thought a cute guy on our team 
Would be her type (he was physically).

The One Who Knows Me Better (who was then The One Who Knows Me Less)
Was also there, cheering us on, and actually watched our game. 
After the game, we all ordered food and drinks,
And I ignorantly went to the table with My Least Loyal Friend.

It was awkward, and The One Who Knows Me Better left first.
The One Who Should Know Me Better and her then boyfriend were at the bar. 
I do need to say, she is the one who had the idea for her bf and I to play,
And I am forever thankful for that (also, I need a new name for her).

When it was left with My Least Loyal Friend and her date,
I went to the bar, because I knew that was where I was welcomed.
I don't remember how the conversation started;
But I do remember certain things from that night.

In the end, I was beside The One Who Should Know Me Better,
And her boyfriend on the other side of her, who I did not know as well then.
When I broke down, and started crying, she grabbed my hand. 
And she told me all the things she liked about me.

I will never forget that night.
I thanked her the next day, and she texted back "Don't mention it."
She does not hold it against me, and I am forever thankful. 
You always need people like that in your life.



1 comment:

  1. I don't think I actually internalize things more than she does... she internalizes things too, it just comes out differently.

    ReplyDelete