Monday, February 17, 2020

A Night of Glitz and Glamour

Friday night was the night of the charity fundraiser.
It was fun getting all glammed up with my one friend,
The one who was winning an award,
Because she volunteers for the animal shelter,
And is one of the best fosters around.

There were seven of us at the table:
Her boyfriend and her,
Her aunt and her uncle,
Her best friend and her husband,
And then there was me.

It was honestly the most eventful valentine's day I've ever had,
Even considering the couple times I was with a guy,
For though I was sometimes the 7th or 5th wheel,
At least I was not alone, and at least it was a good event,
Even when I ended up inevitably going off by myself.

It's been three years since we've done this,
All the glitz and the glamour, the hair and the makeup,
And it was refreshing fun.
But it's always only temporary,
And at the end of the night, none of it is enduring.

For that is the shade of the glitz and the glamour,
The selfish friendships and the casualties.
I am still thankful to my one friend,
Who gave me a ticket to the event for Christmas,
And for the one who gave us both a rose to celebrate.



No comments:

Post a Comment