Thursday, December 18, 2014

When Grief Hits the Holidays

On Friday night my best friend's mom died.
I know we're supposed to say "passed away",
But I've always stayed away from that
Because death does leave a sting.

Last night was the calling hours.
I stayed for the full two hours,
As a best friend should.
I was glad my friend could still laugh with me.

This morning was the funeral.
I did not wake up to my alarm.
I went late but did not get to see her.
I don't know how I'm going to forgive myself.

Now come the holidays,
And I don't know what to do.
I don't know how to comfort her,
When to give her space and when to pry.

Hard days are ahead for all in the family,
The husband who has taken care of her for years,
Her oldest who is the strongest right now,
The youngest who was closer to her,
The sister who was like her best friend and
All the others who loved her dearly.

I texted my friend, that's all I can do.
I have to wait and see what happens.
Will she be mad she didn't see me?
I am mad I didn't see her.

This is new territory for me.
I've never had a close friend lose their parent before.
It was inevitable, but unexpected.
She was doing better, the doctors said.
She was supposed to go home Monday.
She just went in thinking she had the flu.

Life will never be the same,
But it can still be good again.
Sometimes that is hard to see,
But in the  midst of my own storm,
I have to look around and see others in theirs.
And help them in any way I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment